Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Whenever I Call You Friend....

According to the Urban Dictionary... A Friend is:

"A friend is someone you love and who loves you, someone you respect and who respects you, someone whom you trust and who trusts you. A friend is honest and makes you want to be honest, too. A friend is loyal.

A friend is someone who is happy to spend time with you doing absolutely nothing at all; someone who doesn't mind driving you on stupid errands, who will get up at midnight just because you want to go on an adventure, and who doesn’t have to talk to communicate with you.

A friend is someone who not only doesn't care if you're ugly or boring, but doesn't even think about it; someone who forgives you no matter what you do, and someone who tries to help you even when they don't know how. A friend is someone who tells you if you're being stupid, but who doesn't make you feel stupid.

A friend is someone who would sacrifice their life and happiness for you. A friend is someone who will come with you when you have to do boring things like watch bad recitals, go to stuffy parties, or wait in boring lobbies. You don't even think about who's talking or who's listening in a conversation with a friend.

A friend is someone for whom you're willing to change your opinions. A friend is someone you look forward to seeing and who looks forward to seeing you: someone you like so much, it doesn't matter if you share interests or traits. A friend is someone you like so much, you start to like the things they like.

A friend is a partner, not a leader or a follower."


I happen to agree with all of that. 100% of it! :)


In the spirit of giving thanks, and seeing I only touched on this topic in my last post... I must concentrate on my girlfriends for a minute. They happen to be some of the most important people in my life... Plus... it would be a really fun thing for me to write about :) (Warning: this may get extremely long... so... just wanted to let you know.) :)

Starting from childhood, I realized that having a group of tight-knit friends was of the utmost importance in my life. I'm a Libra... I'm a social person... and I hate being by myself. What better way to remedy all of that, but to surround myself with chicks that fulfill all of those needs... and then some. Thanks to facebook.. I have been able to get in contact with my best friends from my early days, who were such an integral part of my growing up. We are all busy moms now, and don't always have time to catch up, physically. It is wonderful for me to be able to see that these childhood besties are so happy and successful. I get to see pictures of their darling kids... and still be a tiny piece of their lives. It's kind of like... a moment on the lips... a lifetime on the hips...  (Whoops!! sorry.. inner fat kid moment. I made cookies yesterday, and have been dwelling on the fact that they are in the kitchen... and I am... not.) I meant to say, A few years as a best friend... a lifetime in my heart. As cheesy as THAT sounds... It works :) Even if you grow apart, they still are a part of who you are.


I am fortunate enough to have a rather expansive group of girls, who I hold so dear to my heart. My 'Lifetime Besties'. They are like my family, and an extension of who I am. I have been known to put them before myself, and take on their pain, joy, fear, and struggles as if they were my own. They have all done that for me, too. They have been constants in my life for as long as I can remember. As I have grown and changed, and become my more 'adult' self... (term used loosely) I have both, made new friends, and held onto a few childhood friendships that mean the world to me. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to do so! On a regular basis, I have 7 or 8 girls with whom I share everything, and keep up on what is going on in their lives. (Counting my Sister and Cousin) We all live in different cities... and have different, sometimes majorly conflicting, schedules... but they are the real deal, and I'm so proud of who they are, and even more proud to call them my 'peeps'. (Although, I don't usually call them that specific term... out of... respect? Or because they aren't made of marshmallow? I don't know...) Anyhoo... Some are crazy, and are necessary for fun things. Some are my emotional support, and just... necessary for life. :) Some are my favorite 'laugh till you pee' partners, but as a whole, these chicks rock! They are the reasons I plan Girls weekends and Girls Christmas Parties. Any chance I have to gather them all up, I will take it and run with it! I mean every word of what I'm about to say about them. And I love them all so much... I can't begin to describe it :)

 Two of my best friends are friends I made in Jr. High, and have, literally, grown up with them. These 2 women serve such completely different purposes in my life... it's almost comical that they are from the same time frame. :) The one who I call my "Easy Friend" is just that... easy. She has the biggest heart of anyone I know, and tries so hard to always do the right thing. She is kind to everyone, and always gives you the benefit of the doubt... even if you do not deserve it. She just had her second baby, and is filling her days by breast feeding, and dealing with a 4 year old. It's been fun to be able to share all of this with her. She is so relaxed about almost everything... that when she has hormonal breakdowns, my heart actually hurts for her. I remember those days... She will always be one of those people in my life that calms me... and makes me laugh :) We are the Godparents to each other's children, and one of the first, daily phone calls... every day. On the flip side... my other friend from that time has been more of a Sister to me. We have a much more 'passionate' friendship. We fight like Sisters, love like Sisters, support each other like Sisters, and at the end of the day... we probably have the longest history of anyone in my life... besides my Sister and me. She is extremely passionate about things, and has taught me a lot about how to be more like that. She doesn't take no for an answer, and is probably one of the most 'colorful' characters I have in my life. She can be sweet as pie, yet she can also be 'the one' I hate fighting with. She isn't an apologizer, and I sometimes love that about her. (sometimes) :) She goes through life with a confidence we all should have more of. The things she and I have been through, and done together in our lives are not comparable with any relationship I will ever have. Ever. She is my favorite travel partner, and my rock through so much of the 'ick' in my life. For that, I will always love her. (Even if we aren't speaking)  I could actually write a whole book about this one person... Maybe some day I will :) (Like.. for her Christmas/Birthday present or something... I'm sure she'd love that. I'll include that elusive 'Europe scrap book', too...) :)


 I have another best friend with whom I can laugh until I can't breathe, and snot is coming out of places it doesn't belong. It happens a lot, actually. She is probably the longest friendship I have, other than my school friends and Sister. Sometimes I feel like we are 'Kindred Spirits'? (Even though I'm not sure what that means, really... but it sounds right?) We became friends in beauty school, and it was like... an immediate connection. There are few things in my life since then, that haven't had her as a part of it. Some/most/frickenlots of my all time favorite memories are with her. It's something I can't describe. I just love her a whole bunch, and she really is my fravit frend. :) I can bawl my eyes out about anything, and she listens, and always knows what to say to make me feel better and laugh. She truly is one of the funniest, smartest, most compassionate, most beautiful people I have ever met. (Seriously... she's fucking gorgeous... it's gross...) :) She is an amazing mom, who happens to share the same 'momming' values that I do. We have been through SO much together, and can spend hours just laughing about dumb shit... cuz we just 'get it'. I don't have to explain things to her, because she already knows everything... even the meaning of red... and puffy lips... and charity. ugh. It's hard for me to not talk to her for whatever reason. Even if I'm pissed... or whatever... I still have to call her or text her, because it is imperative that she knows whatever info I need her to know... right at that moment. I can't stay mad for more than 5 minutes. :) One simple text... with nothing but an emoji... and I'm sobbing from laughter. That running man totally means something... and I'm not sure why. :) I love her so much, and am thankful I have been able to call her my best friend for so many years! We are so alike, in so many ways, it's almost bizarre we didn't grow up together. From music choices, and knowing every word to the music in the elevator... to boys we both knew, and things we find Illanoying... we are very similar people. We even resemble each other. People have always asked us if we are sisters, and she was my fake ID for years :) I'm pretty sure we were destined to be friends at some point... even without Scot Lewis. :) (Is that what Kindred Spirits means?! Mj!) This one is getting a book, too. Unfortunately, it won't make sense to anyone else... only she and I know how funny she and I are. :)


Another best friend of mine, couldn't be more opposite of me if she had a penis... and was... Chinese? She happens to be the person who talks me off a ledge, and makes me see a different side to everything from religion and politics (Samesies in my book) raising kids, dealing with family and friends... everything that life throws at me. We have been known to 'debate' for hours about everything under the sun. (She was a 'debater' in high school... I was busy... doing other things? And being naughty. I don't have those skills on my resume... so she usually wins. But, I give it my all to keep up) :) She keeps me informed of the goings on in the world, and is the first one to admit when she is wrong. She is beyond intelligent, and I love her for that. She sees the best in people... no matter what. She has had so many life experiences, she really does know what to do in most situations. I lean on her often, and hold her opinion in the highest regard. She inspires me and makes me feel like a better person just for having her in my life. We have been through so much together, as well... and have been friends for over 20 years. One of my favorite hings about our friendship, is that we have been each other's support system... when nobody else was there. Most people wouldn't pair us up as besties... but for whatever reason... it works. And I'm so thankful it does. She is one of the most patient people on the planet. She is a kick ass Mom, and an even better friend. She doesn't let many people 'in'... but when she does, you are 'in' for life. I'm honored to call her my friend, and know she will be there until one of us no longer is alive. :)

It's not often, in your adult life, that you make friends that seem to have just been there forever. I have a tiny, little, friend, that fits into that category. She and I met about 13 years ago, and instantly became best friends. It was weird. She started out as my client, and within a year... she was in my wedding. :) She married one of my Husband's best friends, and the 4 of us were inseparable for years. We did EVERYTHING together, and had some of our favorite times with them. She is one of those people that will cry WITH me when I'm sad. She is honest, loving, sweet, kind, not judgmental, caring, compassionate, funny as hell, loves to have a good time, and is a really good mom. I have learned so much from her. Especially from all of her struggles in the last few years. She is now a single mom, who works her ass off to ensure her kids have the best life she can give them. She puts them first, and I have grown to understand how strong she really is. She has really been through a lot, and has come out the other side, ready to be happy again. THAT takes amazing strength, to not lose yourself through that. She hasn't. She is still the same girl I met... she just found her spine. I love her so much, and am just dumbfounded that she hasn't ended up in the loony bin!! I admire her... and wanna call her right now... and cry about it. :)

Then there is my other tiny friend... she is the best! We met right after beauty school, at my first 'big girl' job. She was the receptionist, and I was a stylist. We have been friends ever since. She is such a huge part of my life, and I love her so much... I could squeeze her right fricken now! She is always the first one to offer to help with anything. It doesn't matter what it is. She is funnier than shit, and we have laughed until there were fluids. She makes amazing, crowd pleasing, effortless dips... and is ready for anything! She never misses anything important to me, and I can always depend on her to tell me to calm the fuck down. :) She is one of the most genuine people I know. She just is who she is, and who she is rocks :) We have lived together, laughed together, cried together, consumed lots of chemicals together, and have never been in a fight. (Which... in girlfriend world.. is unheard of.) Just the sound of her voice makes me laugh, and her laugh is contagious!! She is gorgeous, smart, loyal, sweet, honest to a fault, and is just one of those people you always want to have around. She also has a really perfect butt... but that isn't why I love her, I swear :) She is wonderful to my kids, and is one of the biggest supports my husband and I have. She has been through a lot, but remains the same person she has always been :) I just love her to death! She will Krump for Christ... and go to church the next day. Does it get better than that? :)

I have a newer addition to my list. She and I (she will understand that) have only been friends for about a quarter of the length of time as the rest of these girls... but I, for some reason, don't remember what it's like to not have her in my life. The first time I met her, I invited her to Girls Weekend. She has been one of my favorite people ever since. She is, hands down, the life of every party! She says and does things... on such an epic level... that nobody could ever compare to her! I think she is everyone's favorite! We have more inside jokes than should ever be allowed. She is one of the funniest bitches in the land. I made tank tops for girls weekend one year, with funny sayings on them. Because she has so many... the only way to narrow it down, was to save hers for last, and see what letters I had left :)  That same year, she coined a few phrases that have been used repeatedly... (Almost redundantly) for years. She has been MIA for a year. She just gave birth to twins. Nothing has been even remotely the same without her! She is one of the most honest people I know. Almost to a fault. She works hard, is an awesome mom, and when she put her mind to something... she does it with zest! I love her! She has a lot of friends, and I understand why. She truly is a great friend! I don't get to see her very often, or talk to her much, as she is feeding 2 babies... and has another child to take care of. We text almost every day, and that is almost as good... but when I get to see her face, my day just feels stage 4 complete :)

I have had many other girlfriends that have impacted my life in huge ways. (I just can't type anymore... I lost an eyeball about an hour ago...) :) I keep in contact with many... and some deserve a novel or two, themselves :) In the scheme of things, friendship is something that isn't a given. I pride myself on taking my friendships seriously, and giving as much, if not more, than I take. I have noticed the impact my friendships have been starting to have on my Daughter. She equates every one of her friends with one of mine... and it helps her work through certain situations with them. I am proud that she can take that from me, and be a better friend because of it. I am truly thankful for all of these women, and hope to continue our friendships for always. Whether we are going to see Madonna, sitting in sweats and laughing our asses off, crying and consoling, discussing important topics, and solving all the world's problems, heading up north, not dancing to G6, wearing a punnytail, reminiscing about trips, sharing our thoughts (and, yes... occasional judgements), sharing clothes, helping each other through divorces, child births, drunk puking, or... just checking in... I love you, and Thank You For Being A Friend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment